Our Thought on Responsible tourism
Responsible tourism is about respecting, protecting and benefiting local communities, cultures and the environment. For travelers, this can mean making holiday choices with these concerns in mind, from the destinations they visit and the way they travel, to the services they choose once they arrive.
“Making better places for people to live in and better places for people to visit.”
Responsible Tourism requires that operators, hoteliers, governments, local people and tourists take responsibility, take action to make tourism more sustainable. The World Travel Market has adopted the Cape Town Declaration definition of Responsible Tourism for its World Responsible Tourism Day which encourages the industry to take responsibility for making tourism more sustainable and demonstrate their responsibility.
The Cape Town Declaration recognizes that Responsible Tourism takes a variety of forms, it is characterized by travel and tourism which:
- Minimizes negative economic, environmental, and social impacts;
- Generates greater economic benefits for local people and enhances the well-being of host communities, improves working conditions and access to the industry;
- Involves local people in decisions that affect their lives and life chances;
- Makes positive contributions to the conservation of natural and cultural heritage, to the maintenance of the world’s diversity;
- Provides more enjoyable experiences for tourists through more meaningful connections with local people, and a greater understanding of local cultural, social and environmental issues;
- Provides access for physically challenged people; and is culturally sensitive, engenders respect between tourists and hosts, and builds local pride and confidence
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Shopping & Using Local Services–
Responsible tourism is all about hiring local guides, taxis, eating local food and shopping for local products and giving money to the local community who plays a major part in maintaining and preserving the essence of that place. Locally made crafts and souvenirs are not always cheaper, but purchasing them ensures your contribution to the economy will have a more direct and positive impact.
Travelling More & Preserving The Local Culture
Preserving the culture and respecting the local customs and traditions of the place is one of the most important things in the tourism sector. When you visit a particular place, you experience the unique culture, the festivals and traditions of that place.
Protecting the Environment
Responsible tourism is about taking a few steps to reduce the environmental effects on nature and natural places left by irresponsible tourist. Simple steps can be taken such as not littering, walking whenever possible instead of driving, carrying reusable water bottles, and helping keeping the sanctity of the place and valuing natural resources. Without nature and natural beauty, there will be no tourism.
Helping and supporting local conservation projects, will help in maintaining the natural beauty of the place for the future generations .While we are travelling now and enjoying the different parts of the world, it is also important to keep nature and culture maintained well for the coming generations.
HOW WE DO IT?
We at Agreen Hotels are a group of of Environmentally Conscious hotels and resorts who believe in giving back to nature what we have earned from it. We at Agreen Hotels are committed towards Responsible Tourism
Everything that comes from Nature goes back to it…Then why disturb it. Our properties are built to leave the smallest ecological foot print and operate on a sustainable model, providing authentic local experiences to our guests while engaging extensively with the local community. Our Locally Trained Men and Women are dedicated to bring you close to the Hospitality of the Region
We follow these Principles
Land use and Wildlife
- Only local trees species are planted within the campus and the surrounding areas of the resort.
- Landscaping is kept at minimum and, natural terrain and vegetation retained on the campus.
- Participation in local conservation and re-forestation schemes.
- Organic manure and decomposed Kitchen waste is used for the Kitchen garden and Plantations
- Minimum disturbance to natural fauna in the campus
- Information boards of local wildlife displayed within the Property
- Usage of lights optimized to minimize disturbance to nocturnal wildlife
Equity and local economy
- 95% of our staff are Local
- Explore Koyna a group of Local Boys who know the Sahyadri Mountains and Its Forest conduct jungle safaris and adventure activities in the resort.
- Providing supplementary means of income to local farmers, taxi drivers, doctors, and local families
- We try and source most of our products within a 25 kms radius.
- All our vegetables are sourced locally either directly through local farmers or our very own in house kitchen garden.
- We source and prepare only Fresh River Fish directly from Koyna River, Noted as the cleanest river in Maharashtra with Zero % Pollutants.
- Mutton preparations are a specialty of the region served only through the use of authentic goat meat which has a unique taste in itself.
- Our In house granary offers local made products from home souvenirs to Ayurveda Products; your purchase directly benefits local communities trying to use the best of their skills and knowledge.
- We source our Juices and Pickles through Koyna Agro, a local company producing healthy and organic natural products, also available at popular retailers
- Our Milk and other Dairy Products are sourced through Sakas, another local dairy producer, comprising of local people dedicated to make a better living. This in turn helps in the Growth and Development of our rural people.
- We ensure that suppliers are paid a fair price for their products & services
- We Comply with all labour laws of the state
Culture and community
- Local cultural shows are organized in the resort to showcase local culture
- Reduced use of plastic
- Water Purifiers installed in accommodation unit which reduces usage of bottled drinking water
- Usage of cloth bags & bags made out of newspapers is encouraged
- Biodegradable bags used in the waste bins
- Degradable / Bio degradable waste segregation
- Decomposition Pits used for processing kitchen waste
- Bio-gas plant for processing kitchen waste
- Plastic / paper / glass / metals (cans) sent for recycling
- Water Conservation by use of Drip irrigation for gardens
- STP (Sewage Treatment Plant) & treated water used for Gardens and Plantations.
- Foam flow faucets used to reduce water consumption.
- Ground Water Recharging is practiced
- We plan to use Electric Buggies for Transportation with in the resort
- Vehicular movement will be minimized within the resort.
- Majority of staff accommodated within property. Hence no transportation required
- Use Of Diesel Generators only during emergencies
- Diesel generators with electronic governors to reduce fuel consumption
- We plan to install a 20kw solar Plant for our electricity needs
Local and sustainable food
- All Meals served in the restaurant are prepared by Local women, who specialize in serving local cuisine
- All Vegetables and cereals are sourced locally and most of them directly from the Farmers
- Many herbs and vegetables are grown organically on the resort premises
Health and Happiness
- We Serve healthy food in the restaurant and make sure that all staff working in the resort are happy and satisfied
- Our all Lady Kitchen team are provide you the best of local cuisine, leaving you finger licking with a smile
- Locally available & Green materials used in construction.